opendata.swiss is the Swiss public administration’s central portal for open government data.
A centralised and reliable tool, the opendata.swiss website offers easy access to the public data of the Confederation, cantons and communes. Where in the public interest, it also keeps a record of third party data – parastate enterprises or private stakeholders carrying out tasks on behalf of the Confederation, cantons or communes – even if the data in question have already been recorded on other websites.
In particular, the opendata.swiss website strives:
- To provide an overview of the OGD currently published in Switzerland in order to facilitate an exchange between the data provider and data users;
- To create an environment promoting the use of public data;
- To support the creation of a key part of the infrastructure for Swiss data.
Note that the portal is limited to referencing data. The data are hosted by their owner. This avoids any redundancy. As a general rule, no personal data are published in the scope of open government data. The data are aggregated and anonymised and do not enable the persons concerned to be identified. This is indeed essential in the provision of these data.
Do you wish to publish data on opendata.swiss?
Organisations interested in publishing OGD can find information in the following online manual: handbook.opendata.swiss.
Who manages the portal?
The Open Government Data office based at the Federal Statistical Office (FSO) which manages the portal. It supports organisations in publishing their open data. It also continuously monitors the quality of the catalogue.
opendata.swiss website is managed and was developed as part of the “Open government data strategy in Switzerland for the period 2019 to 2023”, approved on 30 November 2018 by the Federal Council. The strategy is binding for the federal administration.
opendata.swiss was developed by various partner organisations under the direction of the federal archives until 2018. In 2019, the Federal Statistical Office (FSO) took over responsibility for the unit on behalf of the Federal Department of Home Affairs (FDHA). The website is developed on an ongoing basis together with the partners. A list of all organisations which publish their data is available.
The organisations listed below support the OGD office in managing and developing the website:
- The opendata.ch association which brings together a large number of data users regularly holds hackathons and other events.
- Digital Public Services Switzerland
- Geocat.ch is the catalogue of metadata for all Swiss geodata. Geocat manages the publication of open data in the area of geoinformation.
- OGD-D-A-CH-LI encourages cooperation between German-speaking stakeholders (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein) in the field of Open Government Data
- open data beer offers regular and free meetings between data providers and users.
Do you have any questions?
You will find additional information and documentation on the website of the Federal Statistical Office (FSO).
If a question relates to a specific dataset, please contact the point of contact indicated in the dataset directly. If you have general questions about the portal or the topic of open public data, you are welcome to contact us.